Re: Request for comments: iptables script for use on laptops.

Hi,

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 09:53:05AM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> But if one can spoof 127.0.0.1, then one can spoof anything else, so creating
> any rule with an ip address matching is useless.

Correct. IP-based authentication is inherently flawed. If you want something
like that, use strong cryptography to verify the sender/receiver
(think certificates, SSL, etc.).

> If I set up my firewall
> to accept only my local network (eg. -s 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0) connecting
> to a port (eg. smtp), then anyone can spoof that too. So what's the point of
> creating rules? :)

Well, there are still some benefits in using a firewall. For example, if you
don't allow access to any port per default, but only open a few ones you
really need (in case you're running servers which must be reachable from
the net). If you accidentally/unknowingly install/start a daemon which
should _not_ be reachable from outside, the firewall will block any
traffic to it, and hence any exploit attempts.
There are many other valid examples.

It's not the concept of a firewall that is flawed, it's relying on IP
addresses for authentication which is a bad idea.

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de