Re: masking out invalid root logins with logcheck?

also sprach Stefano Salvi <stefano@salvi.mn.it> [2006.05.07.0926 +0200]:
> Unfortunately Fail2Ban doesn't block the attackers on this attack, as
> the Log line doesn't contain the IP of the attacker (the IP is only
> listed if the login doesn't exist).

Sure it blocks it. That would be a pretty bad bug if it didn't. At
least version 0.6.1 does.

> However, having the attempted attack listed in LogCheck mails
> doesn't block it...I also ask is there any use however in having
> it listed?

Not really. My theory is that I don't need to know when someone
tries a password login for the root account, since password logins
are not possible anyway.

`. `'`

"when zarathustra was alone... he said to his heart: 'could it be
 possible! this old saint in the forest hath not yet heard of it, that
 god is dead!'"
                                                 - friedrich nietzsche