Re: Unable to write files greater than 1GB to udf-filesystem after kernel update (Sarge)

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 07:52:28PM +0100, Omer Canitez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> beginning with kernel-image-2.6.8-3-k7_2.6.8-16sarge5, I am no longer able to
> write files to a DVD-RAM with udf-filesystem which are bigger than 1G. When
> copying files greater than the mentioned size to the DVD-RAM, I get the error
> message "File size exceeded". Copying smaller files works.
>
> This problem also exists after upgrading to the latest kernel-image
> 2.6.8-15sarge6.
>
> When reverting back to the old kernel (kernel-image-2.6.8-3-k7_2.6.8-16sarge4)
> or when formatting the medium with an ext2-filesystem, the problem
> disappears, so this problem seems to be related to the udf-filesystem.
>
> I did a Google search and found a posting with the same problem which seems to
> affect Debian Etch testing only:
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/1eab67989a25fe8a/b3c075459da58131?lnk=gst&q=file+size+exceeded+1GB
>
> I did not find anything related in the Debian Bug-tracker.
>
> Am I missing a parameter or option to be able to write files greater than 1GB
> to an udf-filesystem after upgrading?

hey Omer,
  Upstream's solution[1] to handle this security problem was to
disable extents > 1G in UDF, so that is what we backported for a
security update.

Does the UDF filesystem only allow 1 extent per file? If not, is it
possible to change the patch to actually limit extent sizes instead of
the overall size of the file?

[1] http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=00a2b0f6dd2372842df73de72d51621b539fea44
--
dann frazier