Re: Remote Root In Nvidia xserver Driver

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:11:24AM +0100, paddy wrote:
> > NB: although some are saying this is a local root exploit only, the
> > bulletin points out it can be exploited by visiting a malicious
> > webpage.
>
> I've not scrutinised the claims closely, but it looks like a remote
> vulnerability to me :-(

The original(?) announcement of the vulnerability,
http://download2.rapid7.com/r7-0025/ , states that the problem can be
exploited as a DoS remotely via e.g. a specially crafted web page (an
example of which they've graciously provided).  However, as I read it,
it sounds like you can only run arbitrary code if you are actually
accessing the X server directly via a client.  While this client can be
local or remote, nobody is going to allow unauthenticated remote clients
to access their X server, so this might not be so bad...  Presumably
this is because it's not practical or feasable to provide the actual
shell code you want to jump to if you're only controlling an HTML
document.  If you're controlling the actual X client, it might be more
reasonable.  Of course, this may allow an attacker to leverage one of
the many Firefox exploits to run code as root...

Naturally, I could be wrong.

noah