Re: How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

Hello Uwe,

* Uwe Hermann <uwe@hermann-uwe.de>, [2006-05-15 17:09 +0200]:
>  What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
>  whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.
>
>  I know I can do
>
>   * /etc/init.d/foobar stop
>     to stop the daemon at this very moment (but it'll be re-started upon
>     reboot, often (always?) also upon upgrade of the foobar package).
>
>   * /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f foobar remove
>     to prevent the starting of the daemon upon reboot. However, most
>     often this will have to be done _again_ if the foobar package is
>     upgraded...

The correct way to disable a service is renaming the symlink to
Kxyservice.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-system.en.html#s-custombootscripts

You should really not use update-rc.d.

Quoting update-rc.d(8):
"Please  note  that  this  program was designed for use in package
 maintainer scripts and, accordingly, has only the very limited
 functionality required by such scripts.  System administrators are not
 encouraged to  use  update-rc.d to  manage  runlevels. They  should
 edit the links directly or use runlevel editors such as sysv-rc-conf
 and bum instead."

I don't have an answer for the "don't start upon new install" problem,
though.

ciao,
    ema