Re: avahi-daemon

        Hi,

On Sat, Mar 04, 2006, Philipp A. Hartmann wrote:
> Well, since the gnome meta-package is part of the gnome task, which I
> consider a common default to setup a desktop machine, it get's pulled in
> in an environment where Recommends are installed automatically.

 Yup, so the GNOME task pulls it in by default, which means you get the
 feature and the open port.

> I think, your proposed solutions do not cover this issue at all. Users,
> who know what they want and what they are doing, do not run into this
> problem, since they can manually deselect avahi-daemon. We are indeed
> talking about regular users. In another mail, you agreed, the maybe only
> 10% of them want to share music. So, why give another open port to the
> other 80% (assuming, that 10% of the users know what they are
> doing ;o)).

 Ah you're correct, let's make it a Recommends: for the 10% of people
 wanting to share music, and a Suggests: for the 80% of people having no
 clue and which will never share music in the life of their system.

> But still it's only a Recommends. Therefore, rhythmbox needs to handle
> the absence og avahi-daemon gracefully, since you cannot rely on it's
> installation. For sake of plug-and-play and comfort, this might be even
> done in some kind of GUI message, which tells the user what to do, if
> he/she wants to access a feature, that requires the daemon's presence.

 It's completely correct to request the proper behavior of RB when the
 recommends isn't there.  I could be very silly, and argue the other way
 around with something like "the current RB code doesn't properly permit
 using RB without avahi-daemon intalled", and make that a Depend, but
 since I knew it was causing pain to people wanting a system without
 avahi but with gnome, and since RB was fixed not to crash when avahi
 wasn't there, I could downgrade that to Recommends.
   In other words, RB could be enhanced to work better when the
 Recommends isn't installed indeed.  I don't consider a popup in the
 application to request installation of packages sensible at all.

> If you agree on this, there is no reason, to lower the dependency to a
> Suggests and everybody would be happy. If you still think, that a
> feature, that is present by default but might be used only by a limited
> number of users overweighs the possible security implications of another
> open port, I think we really cannot come to a consensus in this point.

 It's exactly the way you put, it, we can not come close to a consensus
 by comparing apples to oranges, security and usability.

 I must add people on this list are obviously biased towards security.

   Cheers,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
Current Earth status:   NOT DESTROYED