Re: avahi-daemon

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:45:28PM +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
Indeed, but it's even worse! avahi-daemon recommends libnss-mdns which
recommends zeroconf.  However, both Recommends are bogus.  There's a
bug against the second one, and I talked a little with Sjoerd on the
first one, and it seems it's not required either, it's more of
something until we get a mdns task.

So yes, you're correct, this is a scary dependency, which shouldn't be
there.

Ok, that sounds much better.

If music sharing is a questionable feature to you, you don't need to
discuss this further, you're obviously the security guy, talking in
debian-security@ of stuff he doesn't want to support security-wise, and
don't want to see running on his server.  Would this discussion happen
on a multimedia list, the situation would be kind of the opposite, and
people would be shouting loud if that wasn't pulled in by default.

Well, that's why I reconsidered requesting changes to rhythmbox and suggested its removal from the generic "gnome" dependency instead. If the dependency chain was initiated by something a lot more specific than "gnome" (for example, "music sharing" or something) I'd feel a lot more comfortable with it. The problem here is that "music playing" is bluring into "music serving", and IMO the communities interested in each don't necessarily overlap. I've never questioned whether there are people who want to share music, only how much functionality in that direction should be provided without a more explicit sign of interest from the user.

The rest of your point is simply too fuzzy to discuss any further,
you're being too general sorry.

Well, it's a general problem. Every network service you enable has some risk. Some functionality requires network services. The decision about what services should be enabled on a fairly common out-of-the-box configuration should be made at the big-picture level, not at the level of a developer trying to maximize the functionality of a particular package. Unfortunately debian doesn't much concept of a steering committee.

That's outrageous, the fact you don't have anything on your network is
a real pity,

Whoa, I didn't say I didn't have services on my network, I said that I don't have magical self-initiating services. If I want to provide something I make a decision to do so and give it a sensible/appropriate name service entry. I don't want my appliances or workstations deciding for themselves whether they should be services. As a matter of fact I have a music server on my (home) network--one that I specifically configured and enabled, and which isn't a workstation.

I completely agree with the managed network part, but in such a
network:
- would you have music players installed?

Why not? I find listening to some music at my desk to be nice. That gets back to the now-blurred line between music *player* and music *sharer*.
- wouldn't you filter out any other port than HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP?

I don't get that question.

--
Michael Stone