Re: Using multicast for security updates

Edward Faulkner wrote:
> Or you could just use bittorrent.  The server runs a tracker and
> everyone cooperatively downloads chunks.  Same kind of idea, but it
> doesn't require multicast support (which may or may not exist in
> various networks).

When you say "The server runs a tracker", are you explaining bittorrent,
or do the security.debian.org servers actually run a tracker at the moment?

How well does bittorrent work for smaller files? I was always under the
(possibly mistaken) impression that it worked really well for iso sized
images (and larger) because the size allowed plenty of time for the
chunks to get distributed well through out the network.

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator