Re: Weird message in my apache error log

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 11:19:45PM +0100, Josep Serrano wrote:
> Hello all. I got some weird entries in my apache error log.
> Any clues about what/where/how ?
>
> sh: -c: line 22: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
> sh: -c: line 24: syntax error: unexpected end of file
>
> sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Looks like someone is trying to do arbritary commmand execution. You
probably have a script somewhere that says `command $_GET['var']`, and
someone is passing ';attack' as var, but it isn't quite working.

I suggest using the audit log feature of mod_security, or just grepping
through your access logs for anything odd ('wget' is a good search
term).

You might have a bot on the system, check for any odd network
connections, especially to port 6667 (IRC). Also look for www-data owned
files in /tmp.

Brian

--
Website: http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~bbrazil