Re: Security implications of allowing init to re-exec from another path

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, Thomas Hood wrote:
> In #345741 the submitter has requested that /sbin/init be enhanced
> such that it can be re-executed from another path.  The idea is that
> "telinit -e INIT_PROG=/path/to/other/init" could be done prior to
> "telinit u".
>
> Reasons for introducing this feature are given in the discussion of
> #345741.
>
> Obviously not just anyone can do "telinit -e".  So it sounds safe.
>
> Nevertheless the sysvinit maintainers thought it would be a good idea
> to ask here whether anyone sees any security problems arising from
> this feature.

Just to make the question a bit more clear for those not reading the bug
report, the real question is, are we causing problems for people who run /
read-only (imagine read-only media) and their security expectations?

  Henrique Holschuh