Re: security.debian.org timeouts

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 10:48:15PM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
> > > BTW, I don't understand why this was posted to debian-curiosa, either.
> >
> > I got into the habit of reading important announcements for the users
> > on http://planet.debian.net. Now it seems debian-curiosa is another place
> > for them.
>
> > I wonder what else should I read to keep in touch with such important
> > information?
>
> Basically, we considered that mail to be too snappy to send them to
> d-s-a or so. A good idea for a better mail is still welcome :)

Here it goes:

#v+
We're experiencing problems with our machine responsible for security
updates. It's overloaded because of last update for XFree related packages.

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to fix it as long as most
woody/sarge users download new packages, but there is work in progress
to avoid similar situations in the future.
#v-

Asking for using some apt-proxy packages when someone's updating more boxes
would be probably helpful too.
Of course some native speaker should proofread it.

Anyway I really think that when we talk about security there are no snappy
mails. The most important thing is to inform users about problems if they
can experience troubles fixing them with simple `apt-get upgrade`.

regards
fEnIo
--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland