Re: Bad press again...

* Paul Gear:

>>>There certainly have been exceptions to that rule.  The maintainer of
>>>shorewall has been trying for weeks to get a DSA issued about a
>>>vulnerability, and it seems we have to convince Joey that it *is* a
>>>vulnerability before he'll issue it.
>>

>> Is this #318946?
>
> Correct.

There is very little discussion in the bug report.  If this is a
Debian packaging bug, and not an upstream issue, the report should say
so.  If it is an upstream issue, upstream's response should be
included or referenced.

>> This one is tagged sarge, but it's been closed by
>> Joey Hess, but probably for testing only.
>
> It seems so.  We're not talking about that Joey, though.

(I know.)

> I'm not fully aware of the process that needs to be followed with
> respect to the BTS.  Is there something more that we need to do to get
> the security team to action this bug for sarge?

It should remain open while it is under investigation.  You should
send the command "found 318946 2.2.3-1" to <control@bugs.debian.org>,
along with anq explanation, to keep it open for the sarge version.

>> Part of "stable" means avoiding unnecessary and potentially harmful
>> changes.  Clear policies could help to avoid such misunderstandings.
>
> I don't understand what you mean by that, in the context of this bug
> and the lack of a DSA for shorewall.

As far as I can see, the bug is an unexpected property of a component
which is used to enforce a user-configured security policy.  Maybe
this is the intended behavior, and only the documentation has to be
updated.  IMHO, something should be done about it, probably in the
form of a DSA, but I'm not sure what it should look like.

It is hard to come up with a uniform policy for such cases, but a few
general rules should be stated nevertheless.  For example, I don't
think it's a good idea to add additional safety belts to Debian
packages which aren't integrated upstream because our users might get
used to them and assume that they are available everywhere.