Re: Fixing stupid PHP application design flaws

Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> > Having /usr/share/$package for the include files and
> > /var/lib/$package for the executable PHP scripts that should be linked
> > into the web server.
>
> Eh, that's now how squirrelmail works. All stock php files are in
> /usr/share/$package, and that's also what's used from the default apache
> config for squirrelmail. The config dir is symlinked from thew webroot
> to /etc, and so is that attachment spool symlinked to the appropriate
> /var/spool link. While all config files are accessible via the web, they
> have .php and are a no-op when executed seperately.

In another mail I already said that squirrelmail seems to operate the
way it should, which is very promising.

> > Even less competent users should be able to install these three
> > components on a bare system.  You can also provide a simple Makefile
> > to accomplish this task.  Such things worked for other packages as
> > well.
>
> "Simple makefile" doesn't match the typical person installing a web
> application. A .tar.gz may already be too difficult, they want to be
> able to ftp their files to their provider and it should work. Also, this

Such people should stay being users and not try to become
administrators, really.

Also, if the  Debian distribution contains such applications that are
installed this way, they may need a new maintainer.

Regards,

	Joey

--
Never trust an operating system you don't have source for!