Re: Darn skiddies (ssh login attempts)

On Apr 1, 2005, at 12:10 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
On Fri, 01 Apr 2005, martin f krafft wrote:
also sprach Chris Adams <cadams@salk.edu> [2005.04.01.2143 +0200]:
you somewhat from casual attacks against weak passwords: if
I obtain a copy of a user's password a public-key-only policy
means that I still need some sort of privileged access to their
home directory to exploit it

... and you need a passphrase to decode the key -- or at least you
*should* need one.

Better not count on it when dealing with users.

That's what I meant by the two approaches being equal from a policy perspective - you're going to have to audit either way.

Chris