PAM Limits

I am looking for some good suggestions for setting limits in the limits.conf
file.  I am reading the Securing Debian Guide, and it notes that some
suggestions should be added ;).  I searched around the net and found good
descriptions of what you can set, but not many suggested default limits.  I
understand that configurations can vary widely, but it would seem reasonable
that you could set some initial limits that make sense.  I would like to do
something better than just making a minimally informed guess.  This is my
first server configuration where security is the first consideration, and
not an afterthought.  It is not going to be publicly accessible.  I don't
feel confident enough to take that leap yet.

Gearry