Re: hardening checkpoints

I use this line:

*/3 * * * * root iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -s MY_WORKSTATION_IP --dport 22 -j ACCEPT && echo "issued iptables cmd" | mail -a "From: root@${HOSTNAME}" -s "[iptables-keepalive]" my@email_address.com

That does 2 things:

1. guarantees my access to the machine no matter how stupid I am configuring shorewall :)

2. reminds me LOUDLY and annoyingly every 3 minutes to turn it off once I'm done testing.

also if you run postfix I have a hardening script which turns it into a send-only mailer and disables local delivery. it's invisible on port 25, too, which is nice.

:)

_a