Re: Port 699 listening

> See interspersed comments below.

My replies interspersed

> Quoting Alex Pankratz <alexpankratz@gmail.com>:
> > My apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this, this
> > is my first time asking for help..
> >
> > What is running on port 699? I only have squid, ssh, and dhcpd
> > listening on my 2 internal interfaces, but nothing on my external one
> > (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX below)
> >
> > I just ran nmap, and it returned:
> > Discovered open port 699/tcp on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> > Discovered open port 111/tcp on XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
> >
> > And netstat shows:
> > netstat -na | grep 699
> > tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:699             0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
> >

> Try: lsof -i4 -P | grep 699

rpc.statd  1789        root    6u  IPv4    2165       TCP *:699 (LISTEN)

> > I ran chkrootkit and it returned nothing
> >
> > Google tells me:
> > #                          Thomas Clausen <thomas.clausen@inria.fr>
> > accessnetwork   699/tcp    Access Network
> > accessnetwork   699/udp    Access Network
> >
> > - What is "Access Network"?
> > - How can I get RPC to not listen on port 111 at all?
>
> apt-get --purge remove portmap

Did, and that made both 111 and 699 not show up in nmap scan. sweet,
thanks Jeffery. I could swear that in the past I saw 111 open and I
sort of ignored it, why would 699 be open now, and then closed? why is
statd running, i dont use NFS.

On a possibly related note, snort is showing me a ton of "SCAN FIN"
messages from the same IP, just recently.

Also on a possibly related note, could that be the reason why snort is
also showing me "(portscan) TCP Portsweep" originating from my
external interface?