Warning: Ending maintenance of my Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird backports to Sarge

Dear all,

Since the Debian Security Team is doing a good job of keeping up with
security updates for the Mozilla family in Sarge, much better than I
can, I am ending maintenance of my Mozilla backports to Sarge located at
http://borex.princeton.edu/~kmccarty/ .  If you have any of my backports
installed, please install the packages from the Sarge security updates
instead.

Since (due to poor planning on my part) the version numbers of my
backports are higher than those of the Sarge security updates, this
"sidegrade" is slightly non-trivial.  The procedure I outline below
should ensure a safe transition.

1) Log in as (or su to) the root account

2) Ensure that your /etc/apt/sources.list contains a line for Sarge
security updates.  The required line looks like this:

deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

(Remove contrib and/or non-free from the line if you don't want them.)

3) Run "aptitude update"

4) If you do not already have the apt-show-versions package installed,
install it by running the command "aptitude install apt-show-versions"

5) Run the command "apt-show-versions | grep kmccarty"

This step lists the packages for which you have my backports installed
(one per line).  If there is no output, you need go no further.

6) Change directories into a temporary directory.  For every package
listed in step 5, run the command "aptitude download package/sarge"
(where "package" is the package name).  If that doesn't work, try
"aptitude download package/stable" instead.  Whichever of these commands
works will download the .deb file to your current directory.

7) Run the command "dpkg -i *.deb" to install all the downloaded files.

8) To ensure that the packaging tools completely forget about my
backports, run this command:
aptitude update && apt-show-versions -i

I have already made my backported packages inaccessible, so you will now
be on track to install additional security updates from Debian down the
road.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

regards,

- --