Re: policy change is needed to keep debian secure

(This turned into a saga - so here's the executive summary: let's let
the security team do their job and find us a secure version.  Talk about
removing Firefox and/or definitely ruling out upgrading to a newer
version is unhelpful in solving the problem.)

Neil McGovern wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:02:47PM -0400, Daniel Sterling wrote:
>
>>Keeping Debian stable by not changing things is great.
>>Debian stable cannot stay stable without changing, sometimes drastically.
>>

> Erm... I think you may be getting stability and security mixed up here.
> A program or set of programs IS stable if it's not got any bugs, and
> nothing changes that could introduce bugs. Changing things introduces
> the possibility for bugs, and hence, produces potential instability.

You're worried about potential instability in the face of a *known
security flaw*?!?!  How much more unstable can you get than someone
being able to execute arbitrary code in your browser? [1] [2]

> This is where we disagree:
> Packaging a new version is NOT acceptable for me, as a Debian user.

>From my perspective as a Debian user, packaging a new version is most
likely the *only* acceptable thing.  I can't afford to be without a
browser (some have suggested removing Firefox from stable), and i also
can't afford to be without a secure browser, so i'm prepared to wear
potential instability to get security bugs fixed.

I use Debian stable on all my machines - home desktop, home server, and
all other Debian servers i support (3 others for people other than
myself).  The only one on which Firefox is critical is my home desktop
(it's not even installed on my servers).  And on this system, i need to
have the most secure possible version of Firefox, because i can't trust
every web site on the Internet.  Firefox 1.0.6 is the only currently
secure version.

What the security team have been discussing is whether it's easier to
work out how to backport just the security fix (which Mozilla don't
provide) or to compile a new version, and how and where to provide that.
 I don't really care either way, but from a user perspective, i really
need a secure browser.

> Prehaps the best way forward is to use testing, and ensure that there is
> security support for it. This is something the secure-testing team is
> trying to do.

That's a far cry from "the best way forward".  Testing is too close to
unstable, even for my home desktop.  I chose Debian stable for my
desktop because i didn't want to waste my time upgrading every 6 months
like i would with Fedora Core or SuSE Pro.

Even if i just pick the individual packages out of testing and unstable
required to install the secure version of Firefox from unstable, i end
up with the attached package list (packages.txt) to upgrade.

And even tracking testing would not be enough in this case, because
testing doesn't have a secure version of Firefox. [3]  On my test box
which tracks testing, i have to upgrade the packages shown in my second
attachment (packages-testing.txt) in order to get the secure version.
Tracking testing isn't a viable solution.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/mfsa2005-56.html
[2] http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/mfsa2005-53.html
[3]
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all&keywords=firefox

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>
--
Did you know?  If you receive a virus warning from a friend and not
through a virus software vendor, it's likely to be a hoax.  See
<http://gear.dyndns.org:81/features/virus_hoaxes> for more info.
enoch:/root # apt-get install mozilla-firefox/unstable libxinerama1/unstable libc6/unstable libatk1.0-0/testing libgcc1/testing libstdc++6/testing
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 1.0.6-2 (Debian:unstable) for mozilla-firefox
Selected version 6.8.2.dfsg.1-5 (Debian:unstable) for libxinerama1
Selected version 2.3.5-4 (Debian:unstable) for libc6
Selected version 1.10.1-2 (Debian:testing) for libatk1.0-0
Selected version 1:4.0.1-2 (Debian:testing) for libgcc1
Selected version 4.0.1-2 (Debian:testing) for libstdc++6
  gcc-4.0-base libatk1.0-0 libc6 libgcc1 libstdc++6 libxinerama1
  mozilla-firefox
Suggested packages:
  glibc-doc latex-xft-fonts
Recommended packages:
  libatk1.0-data
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  build-essential g++ g++-3.3 gdk-imlib1-dev j2re1.4 j2sdk1.4 libart-dev
  libatk1.0-dev libaudiofile-dev libc6-dev libcommons-beanutils-java
  libcommons-collections-java libcommons-dbcp-java libcommons-digester-java
  libcommons-fileupload-java libcommons-logging-java libcommons-modeler-java
  libcommons-pool-java libcommons-validator-java libesd0-dev libexpat1-dev
  libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libglib1.2-dev libglib2.0-dev
  libgnome-dev libgnorba-dev libgtk1.2-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtkxmhtml-dev
  libice-dev libjpeg62-dev libopennms-java liborbit-dev libpango1.0-dev
  libpng10-dev libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libsm-dev libstdc++5-3.3-dev
  libstruts1.1-java libtomcat4-java libx11-dev libxext-dev libxft-dev
  libxi-dev libxmu-dev libxmuu-dev libxp-dev libxpm-dev libxrandr-dev
  libxrender-dev libxt-dev libxtrap-dev libxtst-dev libxv-dev libzvt-dev
  locales mozilla-firefox-gnome-support opennms opennms-server opennms-webapp
  tomcat4 tomcat4-admin tomcat4-webapps xlibs-dev xlibs-static-dev zlib1g-dev
  gcc-4.0-base libstdc++6 libxinerama1
  libatk1.0-0 libc6 libgcc1 mozilla-firefox
4 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 68 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 13.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 241MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.
guest09:~# apt-get install mozilla-firefox/unstable libxinerama1/unstable libc6/unstable +                                                                      guest09:~# apt-get install mozilla-firefox/unstable libxinerama1/unstable libc6/unstable libglib2.0-0/unstable libc6-dev/unstable locales/unstable lsb/unstable lsb-core/unstable lsb-cxx/unstable lsb-graphics/unstable
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Selected version 1.0.6-3 (Debian:unstable) for mozilla-firefox
Selected version 6.8.2.dfsg.1-5 (Debian:unstable) for libxinerama1
Selected version 2.3.5-4 (Debian:unstable) for libc6
Selected version 2.8.0-1 (Debian:unstable) for libglib2.0-0
Selected version 2.3.5-4 (Debian:unstable) for libc6-dev
Selected version 2.3.5-4 (Debian:unstable) for locales
Selected version 3.0-5 (Debian:unstable) for lsb
Selected version 3.0-5 (Debian:unstable) for lsb-core
Selected version 3.0-5 (Debian:unstable) for lsb-cxx
Selected version 3.0-5 (Debian:unstable) for lsb-graphics
  cpp cpp-4.0 libatk1.0-0 libc6 libc6-dev libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0
  libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libidl0 libkrb53 libpango1.0-0
  libpango1.0-common libtiff4 libxcursor1 libxinerama1 locales lsb lsb-core
  lsb-cxx lsb-graphics mozilla-firefox
Suggested packages:
  cpp-doc gcc-4.0-locales glibc-doc manpages-dev krb5-doc krb5-user
  ttf-kochi-gothic ttf-kochi-mincho ttf-thryomanes ttf-baekmuk
  ttf-arphic-gbsn00lp ttf-arphic-bsmi00lp ttf-arphic-gkai00mp
  ttf-arphic-bkai00mp mozilla-firefox-gnome-support latex-xft-fonts xprint
Recommended packages:
  libatk1.0-data gcc c-compiler libglib2.0-data hicolor-icon-theme
  x-ttcidfont-conf
  cpp cpp-4.0 libatk1.0-0 libglib2.0-0 libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin
  libgtk2.0-common libidl0 libkrb53 libpango1.0-0 libpango1.0-common libtiff4
  libxcursor1 libxinerama1 mozilla-firefox
  libc6 libc6-dev locales lsb lsb-core lsb-cxx lsb-graphics
7 upgraded, 15 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 49.5MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.