Re: hardware for authentication

Olaf wrote on 09/07/2005 22:16:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2005 08:26 schrieb martin f krafft:
>
>>Do you guys use any hardware for authentication with PAM? E.g.
>>fingerprint sensors, USB dongles and the like...

No idea about fingerprint sensors, but we are using Schlumberger
Cryptoflex eGate smartcards in the company. The cards are definately
working well with ssh and pam (and not at all yet with gpg though a
patch exists for quite some time now). Using them for ssh login from
Windows works well with Putty+Pageant, too. Tested the cards with Debian
and Gentoo and would assume it works just as well with any other Linux
Distro.
The only problem about them are those small USB adapters (consting of
just a connector, a few resistors and a LED). Their USB connector tends
to break when subjected to even small amounts of physical stress while
plugged in. But when that causes a problem, you simply take your card
from the adapter and put into a new one. This happened to us about 5
times during the past 6 month (with 35 people using those things every
day). Not an impressive performance, but not too bad either, considering
that about 10 of those people have their USB plug on their usual
keychain with dozens of keys. I wouldn't think any USB plug will work
for long when a one-pound weight dangles from it day by day.

cu,
sven

PS: I wasn't sure wether you are subscribed to debian-security, so I
CCed you. Sorry if you get the mail twice.