Securing Private Keys

I think what you are looking for is a USB Smartcard.  I had a problem
like this when using encryption on ATM (banking) devices.  The keys
were vulnerable to someone coming after them on the filesystem.

I found the solution in USB format smartcards.  The private key is
loaded into the secure memory space, or generated there.  Messages are
then passed into the device to decrypt the symetric key.  The private
key is never exposed and it is very difficult to use voltage
differential to get the key off the smartcard.

The down side is that the operations are slow.  Something on the order
of 1second per transaction.  If you are doing a lot of processes, that
can quickly become a bottleneck.  My application only needed a single
decrypt per hour so overhead wasn't an issue.

GL

Steven

These might be useful

http://www.opensc.org/news.php