Re: Re: Can anyone help me ID who is trying to hack my system?

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Kevin Brown wrote:

> can u tell me how do i track somebody's ip that's trying to hack me

assuming it is: "trying to hack" vs a "successful" breakin:

	- what would be the point to find out ??
	- why do you care who is "trying" ??

- more importantly...
	- how much $$$ are you willing to spend to find out who
	- how much time are you willing to spend to find out who

	- what are you going to do once you know who is it

	- what (which country's) laws do they need to be following vs
	things *you* have to do and follow

- trivial answer ...
	- it wont cost you a penny but will cost you tons of time

 	- traceroute the attacking ip#

	- trackdown who owns the ip# and do NOT bother the isp that they
	have some script kiddies attacking your server

	- now what ??

	- if the ip# belongs to the us gov't... you might be able
	to find a helpful ear to help nabb the script kiddies
	or the-big-fish-joe-cracker

	- for more tracking .. you'd need to implements lots of
	fancy traps and lots of $$$

- consider it a free security audit of your server by beginners

- welcome to the new world of the internet ..

c ya
alvin