Re: Fixing stupid PHP application design flaws

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 10:04:00PM +0200, Hans Spaans wrote:
> Is this going to solve the problems? Don't get me wrong, because I love
> your goal but I don't believe that what you suggesting right now is
> going to solve the problems with PHP at this moment. Maybe its an idea
> to get in contact with Rasmus about securing PHP, because he's trying to
> get a more secure and sane php4.ini in the upstream releases. Unluckily
(...)

Well, you've probably missed Bug #274374, which is a step in that
direction. If anyone has comments or improvements on the php.ini-paranoid
file provided in the php4 package please send them my way, I would love to
see that improved.

> Beside the fact that your plan has some issues with multiple
> installations because some application require that for multiple vhosts.
> It may be a better idea to start with PHP itself and ask during
> installation of the users wants to install a secure or insecure version
> of php4.ini. The same is done with setuid issues for example.

Why not ask that to PHP maintainers? The file is already there, it's just a
matter of having debconf ask this on the first install and replace the
default file. If anyone would be to provide a patch implementing this I
don't see why the Debian PHP maintainers would not add it in.

Regards

Javier