Re: My machine was hacked - possibly via sshd?

Malcolm Ferguson wrote:

All,

My machine was cracked on Thursday evening. I'm trying to understand how it happened so that it doesn't go down again.

Sounds to me like you know exactly how it happened - ssh user enumeration won the jackpot.

So what can I do to prevent it? My best guess is that ssh failed, but this is based on the log messages. Exim or Apache could have been the

Security in layers. Putting ALL: ALL in /etc/hosts.deny is a great start.
You could also run iptables (locally or upstream) to prevent tcp to port 22.
Keep your system patched.
Etc, etc.