ARP issue

Hi all,

while playing with nemesis and arp I stumbled across an old issue which I thought is solved. Searching the list archives gave me no answer, so sorry if this is totally outdated. In fact, it is
the old arp cache spoofing / poisoning thing.

I sent a crafted arp reply to a linux box with the meaning
"Hey, localhost is at <some_spoofed_mac_address>". Looking in the arp cache on this box, I saw that this spoofed mac address was accepted as the boxes new mac-address for
localhost on eth1. This means to me:

1.) There are no checks about arp packages.
2.) Nobody keeps track of  the balance between arp requests and replies
     (why accepting a reply without having sent a request before ?).
3.) All the usual arp attacks are possible.

Ok, this is an old box with kernel 2.4.19 (and isn't used for production).

Question: Does anybody know wether this changed with newer kernels ? And if not - why not ?

Thanks in advance and have a nice time

Joerg