Re: failed root login attempts [SCANNED]

On 9/19/04 1:30 PM, "martin f krafft" wrote:

> Other than blacklisting the IPs (which is a race I am going to
> lose), what are people doing? Are there any distinctive marks in the
> SSH login attempt that one could filter on?

We are using our hosts.deny files to stop all ssh attempts from ALL IP's and
then add the allowed user IP's in hosts.allow.

We are also using a script similar to portsentry and logcheck called
logcheckplus which seems to do well, it will immediately lock out the
offending IP and notify you. It works well for dictionary attacks, ftp
kiddies and more.
--
David Thurman
The Web Presence Group