Re: failed root login attempts

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 09:53:23PM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> You can either move your ssh to another port, that will greatly reduce the
> distributed brute force attacks, or you can put a filter with port knocking
> in front of it. Another option is to turn off password authentication,
> completely.

Neither of these is an option at a large site with dozens or hundreds of
ssh users.  Maybe if the sysadmins are the only ones who care about ssh
it's an option, but where's the fun in that?

> And yes you should be worried about those attacks if you habe weak passwords.

That's trivial to fix, even in large sites.  Min password lenghts of 8
characters with a minimum of two character classes are going to
interfere with any random login based password guessing.  Especially
since, from what I hear about this scanner that's responsible for all
these login attempts, it's trying mind-numbingly simple passwords, like
root/root, guest/guest, empty passwords, and things like that.

noah