Re: Spyware / Adware

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 13.30, Volker Tanger wrote:

[spyware/adware/trojans/...:]

> Yes and no. When surfing as normal user *ware programs cannot install
> themselves as system services or overwrite programs simply as you/they
> do not have the (file) permissions to do so.

Technically, for most purposes, malware installing itself into an
unprivileged user account and automatically starting itself through
~/.bashrc or whatever is entirely possible, especially since most malware
these days seems to be used only as a base for DDOS attacks (including
sending spam), so no special privileges are necessary here. (And KDE and
Gnome are currently catching up nicely in the number of little useful (?)
daemons that are started on a desktop machine.)

Windows currently having >90% of the desktop market protects Linux and other
systems currently: malware could not propagate fast enough. Also, most
email clients don't offer to execute arbitrary email attachments. OTOH, I
wouldn't trust the Javascript implementations in the Linux browsers any
more than I trust the Javascript implementation of IE.

Another thing that protects Linux systems: heterogenity. Binary exploits
usually only work properly when a program is compiled and linked with
specific compiler and library versions -- with different versions, all you
get is a crash (which does no real harm in most cases). I think there are
far more different Linux versions out there than there are Windows
versions, so I *think* that even with Linux becoming a more attractive
target, you'll never get a single malware spreading with a speed comparable
to what's happening in Windows today.

greets
-- vbi

--
According to my calculations the problem doesn't exist.