Re: pgp in Debian: obsolete?

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 11:40:09AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Keep in mind people may have encrypted files and email
> > archived. The means of accessing archive data should
> > be considered to be at least as immortal as the data
> > itself.
>
> Aren't GnuPG's decryption/verification features a superset of those in
> PGPi 5.0?  That's not a rhetorical question:  I've been telling people
> that for years in a good faith effort at accuracy, and so will
> appreciate any corrections.

I don't know for sure either. I do seem to remember
there was a document explaining how to transition
and that there was a new key generation method. I also
vaguely remember having some problem with my own
package signing keys when the switch was made from
PGP to GPG, but that is 4-5 years ago and I cannot
for the life of me remember the details. I just have
a vague disquiet about it.

I'm certain that somewhere I've got files using the
old keys, and since I'm in Ireland, Murphy will
drop in for tea the day after PGP goes away...

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"