Re: logcheck.ignore entries

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:06:02 +0100
Marco Franzen <Marco.Franzen@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:27:55 -0700
> > From: Jeff Coppock <jcoppock1@comcast.net>
>
> > On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 03:49:35 +1000
> > Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:

> > > Try this one:
> > > CRON\[.*\]:( )?\(pam_unix\) session (opened)|(closed) for user
> > > (root)|(mail)
>
> Careful about the parentheses.  See below.
>
> > Trying it now.  I'm not sure about the use of the logcheck.ignore
> > file since when I run logcheck -d (debug mode), I don't see that
> > file being accessed.  I'll try using the cron file in the
> > ignore.d.server directory.
> >
> > > You hadn't accounted for the optional space after the ':' (or was
> > > that a typo?), the "\[.*\]" part is better than just a ".*"
> > > (imagine if you could fool cron about the user-name to log), also
> > > a ".*" on the end is redundant.
>
> This:
>
> > > For having two different words match you need to put each
> > > word in braces, "(opened|closed)" is the same as
> > > "opene(d|c)losed".
>
> is probably not true.  At least it isn't in woody, and I would regard
> it a bug if that suddenly changed.  It would also be a highly unusual
> implementation of regular expressions.
>
> For example, I have in /etc/logcheck/ignore.d/local a working entry:
>
>   anacron\[[0-9]+\]: Job `cron\.(daily|weekly|monthly)'
>   (started|terminated)$
>
> that would break if this were suddenly true.

Well, I just confirmed that it is true.  I placed the entry suggested by
Russel in /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/cron and it is working.  I still
see other auth messages such as for ssh and su, but those CRON messages
are pleasantly absent from logchecks email updates.

There must have been a considerable change in Sarge/Testing, since that
is what I run.