Re: Hacked - is it my turn?

hi ya nick/jim

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Nick Boyce wrote:

> >> At this point I believe to be able to attribute this to portsentry
> >> running - '/etc/init.d/portsentry stop' makes it go away,
> >
> >odd that portsentry does that... oh welll ...
>
> Um, no - I believe that's not odd at all - because Port Sentry's
> method is to listen on every conceivable port so that it can detect
> inbound connection attempts.

and given that portsentry supposed to watch all ports,
i'm curious why only 1524 shows up and not a random selection
of one of 64K port or whatever reason it uses 1524 is okay

and the original poster shows/reaffirms another reason NOT
to run portsentry :-0  .. a lot of "false positives" but
a good learning experience and results in tighten the security
policy before a real crack occurs
	- i do run logcheck .. but not portsenty :-0

and i dont like any port scan detectors running, it'd be pointless
esp if one gets xxx scans per hour coming from where ever
	( consider it a free audit via port scan )

c ya
alvin