Re: TCP SYN packets which have the FIN flag set.

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, George Georgalis wrote:

and for anybody who is interested, I've found the limit function works
well to manage logging and types of deny.

 -m limit --limit-burst 50 --limit 1/s

At the end of my "NEW ACCEPT" set, I call a chain that, within the
limit, logs and rejects remaining connections, beyond the limit it
returns. the next two rules log some (with limit again) of the remaining
connections and drops them all. The setup gives a balance between the
problems of logging and rejecting everything bad and just dropping
everything bad.

Doesn't that open the possibility for a DOS, simply by sending a stream of new attempted connections to your computers? Then this would continuously saturate the rate of new attempted connections, and your legitimate connections would be virtually impossible. Or is the netfilter limit code as smart as to use separate limits to separate source IP numbers?

bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)