Re: owner for /dev/vcsa*

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 08:31 +0200, Frank Dietrich wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> can I get into some failures when I change the owner for all /dev/vcsa
> devices to an other user the root, e.g. vcsa?
>
> Background: The /usr/lib/mc/cons.saver needs read support for this
> device. I will change owner for this file to vcsa and setuid it.

Hi Frank

Another (imho simpler and safer) approach would be to change the group
of /dev/vcsa f.e. to "vcsa" (if this group does not exist yet you can
create it) and give the group read access to these files. If you add
yourself (or the user running /usr/lib/mc/cons.saver) to the group vcsa
you will have the rights to read the /dev/vcsa devices without needing
to set SUID or SGID bits.

Matthias