Re: [OT] Collective memory query

Bidder wrote:
> > > for foo in `find . -name "something"`
> >
> > Note that
> > $ for foo in `command outputting a list of filenames`
> >
> > should *always* be replaced by
> >
> > $ said command | while read foo; do ...
[...]
> So what is the magic barrier when this should stop working?
> I'm just curious.

Hmm. I can't comment on that specifically, for current versions of some
shells. I know I have seen 'command line too long' messages in the past
when using `find ...` constructs, and I bet that on busybox based resscue
disks and other restricted shells this topic will still be relevant.

In any case, using the while loop will pipeline the operations so you get
full benefit from multitasking.

greetings
-- vbi

--
Beware of the FUD - know your enemies. This week
    * The Alexis de Toqueville Institue *