Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 10:34:43AM -0500, hanasaki wrote:
> Jan Minar wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 04:15:09PM -0600, s. keeling wrote:
> >>Is anyone still using telnet when there's ssh?  Why?  I wouldn't even
> >>use it inside my own firewalled LAN.  ssh is just better.
> >I've been told telnet *does* make a lot of sense where IPSEC is set up.
>
> When IPSEC is being used, telnet works the same; however is secure
> because it, like all traffic, is sent over a transparent tunnel.

One very good reason to avoid it even in tunnels is
that you get into bad habits. One tired night you
forget and connect over an unsecured link to a
key machine... and you're toast.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"