Re: apt 0.6 and how it does *not* solve the problem

[...]

Bron> This doesn't work.  The problem is basically:

Bron> a) what about a package which they uploaded while valid, more than
Bron> 6 months ago, that someone wants to download and install now.
Bron> b) if by date, what's to stop someone backdating a package and
Bron> falsifying a mirror/proxy with a copy of their package.  The
Bron> signature will still check out.

AFAIK, developer keys aren't used to sign packages in the archive.
They are only used to upload packages.  When you check the signature
from the repository, you are checking it against the Debian archive key
(which changes periodically).

(note: I am not a DD, and I've only been loosely following apt 0.6.  But
I am a package maintainer.)

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA