Re: FWD: Squirrelmail XSS + SQL security bug?

Hello People,

I'm part of the SquirrelMail development team and have assisted Jeroen in preparing the recent upload of a new SquirrelMail package.

Let me comment on some of the issues raised.

First off, Debian is using an archaic version of SquirrelMail, being more than two years old (which is a lot for a product that is under active development). I would advise the Debian project of upgrading their packages more often; for example targeting for a yearly new stable release. The current policy harms Debian users: in these two years we've fixed hundreds of bugs (if not more) and made huge improvements to the code. I guess this goes for many more of the packages in Woody. Security fixes are not easily backportable to code that has changed so much since then.

About the SquirrelMail Debian maintainership; this hasn't been up to par for the last half year (and before that was also not very active). A development version (1.5.0) was added to Debian (why??) and bug reports were not attended to, mail was not replied to at all(!). Debian should have some kind of mechanism to prevent this from happening in the future. Perhaps there should be a policy that each package has at least two maintainers? For the SquirrelMail package I'd say that Jeroen and Sam become co-maintainers.

About security fixes in the SquirrelMail code; SquirrelMail does not (contrary to Roman's standpoint) adhere to a obscurity-policy but in stead openly discloses any security fix in our code. In the changelog and in the announcement of the recent 1.4.3 release it's clearly stated that this closes a security hole. If the Debian project wants to we can of course notify them if we patch something but it is principally their responsibility to monitor our lists, announcements and bugtraq.

The bottom line is that in my opinion the quality of the Debian package "stands or falls" with the activity of the maintainer. Every package should have two active maintainers as a rule, not as an exception.

I hope we can continue the collaboration like Jeroen and I did when preparing the recent upload. The close contact between development team and Debian maintainer turned out to be very efficient.

Thijs