Re: Advice needed, trying to find the vulnerable code on Debian webserver.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 02:32:21PM +1000, Ross Tsolakidis wrote:
> "Wipe, install, set up chkrootkit and run it often."
> I've already done that.  There was no rootkit.

An alternative to chkrootkit is rkhunter - it's a set of scripts. You
can find the web address on something like freshmeat.net or Google
easily.

[snip]

> I need to find the vulnerable code on this box.  And I have no idea
> where to begin.
> I've tried running virus scans, nothing is infected.

[snip]

The files you found within /tmp - Grep Apache's access /and/ error logs
for these file names. Other common things to grep for include the use of
"uname -a", "ls -l", "wget", remembering you may need to substitue a
space for %20:
 # grep -i 'uname%20-a' {access,error}.log
 # grep -i 'wget' {access,error}.log

How about running a packet sniffer on port 80 too and monitor the
traffic. Log to a text file and grep that?

HTH.
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden <david@hexstream.eu.org>