Re: Unusual spam recently - hummm - postprocess

On Jun 3, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Alvin Oga wrote:

post processing is for the birds in my limited world of 10,000+
mails per day ... most of which are spam

	- the original posts spam assassin didnt reject
	the incoming spam to "undisclosed recepient"

- once they validate the email addy is good, you're
  promptly added to a new more expensive spam list

- receiving spam is a bad thing

My mail system has a number of users, and I prefer to let the recipient decide what is spam.

The question was really about the empty spams that are showing up in the last month or so, and what they are intended for. Weather it was a prelude to an MTA exploiting worm strike, or just spammers assessing the value of their spam lists before using them to deliver their spamloads.

My content filtering mostly works. It catches over 99% of spam and I have only had 1 false positive, and I think I will stick with it.

Some list servers such as yahoogroups (May it rot in pieces) have the annoying behavior of deactivating your subscription on hard bounces from MTAs so whenever a list I am subscribed to with lax attachment policies gets a worm, and I hard bounce it with mime-header-checks, I get deactivated. So this is just one example of hard bouncing spam not being a great system wide policy right now (Unless you don't like your users :P).