Re: restricting process limit

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:59:12PM +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Dan Christensen wrote:
>> Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

>>> That depends on the options you pass to spamc; I pass -x which says
>>> "report a temp failure in that case", and advise that for general
>>> use.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is helpful to the original poster, but I invoke
>> spamc from within procmail, and use a lockfile to limit it to one
>> invocation at a time.
>>
>> Does anyone see a problem with this setup?  (I use exim as my MTA.)
>
>No, no problem.  This is a pretty high overhead solution, though, and
>the original question was about limiting that overhead. :)

yep. SA is high overhead. the annoying thing is that besides all the
regex work that needs being done, SA is very inefficient in the process.

one very annoying observation is the load that persists after the tests
complete. Find a slow host, put lots of SA modules on it and watch your
spamd log and top, as you check a message... after the score is logged
and the message is processed, spamd instances continue using a lot of
resources, sometimes much longer than the time taken to process the
message.

Figuring out what this "post process" resource load is or even which
modules cause how much processing load, has been, well, not easy.

SA seems the only real choice for an OSS spam filter, but I find the
api, poor, and looking at the code tells me resource efficiency was never
a consideration either.

I'm wanting to write a program that process mail through SA modules,
but more efficiently. I'm surprised I've not found one out there already.
Maybe scrubber is the answer? http://projects.gasperino.org/scrubber/
(don't know yet...)

Back to my own scripts, I'm having a real hard time so much as finding
doc (vs example) of the module format. Any tips on what I'm missing
are more than welcome.

thanks-
// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george@galis.org