logcheck.ignore entries

I'm having trouble with getting entries here to work.  I have the
following /var/log/auth.log messages that I want to filter out of
logcheck (version 1.2.16, sarge):

CRON[15302]: (pam_unix) session opened for user root by (uid=0)
CRON[15302]: (pam_unix) session closed for user root
CRON[15613]:(pam_unix) session opened for user mail by (uid=0)
CRON[15613]:(pam_unix) session closed for user mail

So, I have the following entry in /etc/logcheck/logcheck.ignore:

CRON.*: \(pam_unix\) session (opened|closed) for user (root|mail) .*

However, logcheck still reports these messages on every run.  I'm barely
a novice at regex and came up with this entry by googling around.

Could there be something I need to add to the logcheck.conf file to make
this work?

Is my entry botched?

The actual log messages also include the date/time/hostname.  Do I need
to account for that in the entry?

thanks,
jc

--