can't see anything with 'w'

Hi!

I've just managed to mess up my system :)
But I did a lot of things, and now I don't know what is causing this
problem:

leva@host:~$ w
 11:12:52 up 26 days, 17:02,  0 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.19, 0.22
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
leva@host:~$

I can not see the logged in users. I didn't install any kernel patches,
and although I can see everything with 'ps ax', and I have read access
to the /proc dir, the 'w' command isn't working.

I thought that it will be something with the /var/log files, so I
temporarely switched the attributes to 664 in all files, but still can
not display the logged in users.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Daniel