Re: Updating Kernel Using make-kpkg - Not Intuitive ?

Incoming from Nick Boyce:

> Otherwise, I suggest you move /lib/modules/2.4.18 out of the way,
> perhaps to /lib/modules/2.4.18.old or something, and then try
> re-installing this image.
> [snip]
> What on earth is this trying to say to me ?

"Hi.  This is the kernel install helper thingy.  As I've detected that
you did NOT move your old kernel modules to somewhere safe before
trying to install new ones (as anyone familiar with kernel installs
would have done), I'm bound to offer you the chance to save your butt
and do it now.  'Kay?  Otherwise, I'm about to clobber something
potentially important."

It's merely being conservative.  It wants you to have some sort of
backout path in case anything goes wrong.  Having your old kernel and
all its modules in a safe place offers you that backout path.

- -