Re: rsh to ssh migration

On Freitag, 19. März 2004 19:28, Peter McAlpine wrote:
> So I'm looking for hints and tips about migrating from rsh to ssh.
> Comments? Suggestions? All are appreciated!

Mostly, your tools / usage is just an "rsh hostname" or "rsh hostname
command". Install SSHDs and ssh and change the "r" for an "s" in the
commands. That's it for password based authentication.

Whereever you used arcane rhosts files (*shudder*), you can use public key
challenge to be password-free. The user's public key goes into
~/.ssh/authorized_keys of the account to log into.

Whatever is hard to transfer to ssh is most likely worth to be transferred
immediately ;)

With a company from the 80s, you'll surely have problems with migration, as
there will surely be forgotten processes trying to do rsh. But... migrate
anyway. rsh/rhosts is pure stupidity nowadays.

Greetings,
--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin