Trouble with CFS

I'm new to this list (and to debian) so please forgive me if this is not the correct place for this question.

I'm trying to apt-get install cfs on a server i rent from uk2net. the apt get fails when i'm installing it with the following error:

# apt-get install cfs
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
 cfs
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 179kB of archives. After unpacking 508kB will be used.
Get:1 http://http.us.debian.org stable/main cfs 1.4.1-7 [179kB]
Fetched 179kB in 15s (11.2kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package cfs.
(Reading database ... 41736 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cfs (from .../archives/cfs_1.4.1-7_i386.deb) ...
Setting up cfs (1.4.1-7) ...
Creating directory /var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs
Creating directory /var/cfs
Starting cfs: localhost:/var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs: Function not implemented
mountd... mount: localhost:/var/lib/cfs/.cfsfs failed, reason given by server: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing cfs (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 32
cfs

Also after some experimentation i have found that i am unable to mount a local nfs share, having added this to my /etc/exports:
/tmp/testdir   localhost(rw)
When i restart the nfs server I get:
# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
Stopping NFS kernel daemon: mountd nfsd.
Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...done.
Exporting directories for NFS kernel daemon...localhost:/tmp: Function not implemented
done.
Starting NFS kernel daemon: nfsd mountd.

What am I doing wrong. As i don't have physical access to this server i am reticent to rebuild the kernel. Can anyone suggest how i can this working?