Re: Help! File permissions keep changing...

> 2) Referring back to your original post, the only user who can change
> the owner of a file is the owner of that file, with the chown command.

Even this is a little complex as a normal user can NOT give away ownership
of their files.  I guess people were using the ability to avoid quota
limits /grief other users by filling up their quotas :P

I think you can set the SGID bit on a directory so that all files created
in the directory are owned by the group owner of the direcotry, but the
user has to have rights to write to the directory in the first place. You
can also do it with ACLs if it is supported for you filesystem/kernel.

David.