Re: Firewall: Need Advice

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 10:38:51AM +0200, E&Erdem wrote:
> I've been using iptables (or i assuming that). But at boot time it gives
> an error: "Aborting iptables load: unknown rulesets "active" ". I
> couldn't find the problem. I searched via google, and found
> dpkg-reconfigure iptables. But it didn't help. I read a lot of iptables
> documents. But i think i lost some points, because i don't understand
> something.

Since I do my own firewall from scratch and don't
touch the auto-installed stuff, I can only surmise.

There may be a script in /etc/init.d/ that is loading
a debian default firewall if you selected a package
with a default firewall.

I seem to remember running across a script that reads
on startup and write on stop to a directory in /etc/defaults
or something like that.

I will also add that if you are going down the route
of creating your own frow scratch, make sure you read
and re-read the HOWTO's on iptables and firewalling
and that you have a good knowledge of routing.

However if your requirements are very simple, it is
not hard to do a Masquerade firewall. And if you wish
to go one step past that and close all outgoing ports
and then allow a few specific ones, that also is not
very complex.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"