problem with pam.deny.so

Hallo,

I've been struggling with hardening my pam.d stacks lately. Upon replacing pam.unix.so by a stack containing account.so, auth.so, session.so, warn.so and deny.so, the login shell starts returning messages like 'user account expired', even for my root account. I've been fiddling with /etc/shadow (e.g. made new test users with adduser); studied the manuals of course, but so far the problem remains manifest.

So, what's the matter here? Is pam.deny.so broken or am I missing something? Anybody got a clue?

I'm running Debian testing on a 2.6.1 kernel

Thanks.