Re: tiger: howto eliminate spurious cron errors?

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> [2004:01:08:10:13:55+0100] scribed:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 02:26:03PM -0600, Michael D Schleif wrote:
> > In the spirit of my current endeavor to eliminate noise from tiger, I
> > find myself receiving the following stderr reports from tiger via cron:
> >
> >    stdin: is not a tty
>
> Known bug and related to running 'mesg' in non-interactive. It should be
> fixed already in tiger 3.2.1-6 IIRC.

Indeed, on the one (1) system on which I have gone from 1:3.2.1-3 to
1:3.2.1-6, this tty problem appears to have gone away.

> >    /usr/bin/find: /usr/X11R6/bin/: No such file or directory
>
> Related to deb_nopackfiles, you probably don't have any X stuff installed.
> This error is also fixed in the upstream sources (but has not made it yet
> to a release)

Yes, these are dedicated servers, and I do not have X installed on them.

> >    /bin/sed: can't read /etc/printcap: No such file or directory
>
> This was unknown, will be fixed in next release.
>
> >    /bin/ls: /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory
>
> Ditto.

This is an odd one ?!?!

This only occurs on two (2) boxes, on which I find this:

   # ls -al /boot/boot.b
   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           11 Nov  7 15:32 /boot/boot.b -> boot-menu.b

On boxes that do *NOT* generate this error, I find this:

   # ls -al /boot/boot.b
   ls: /boot/boot.b: No such file or directory

Also, this error only occurs _once_ per month on the 1st; but, I have
not traced its source any further.

> > Unfortunately, tiger.ignore cannot help me to eliminate this noise.
> > That first one is especially annoying, since I receive it several times
> > per day on several servers.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> The release in unstable does have some errors from time to time. I
> purposedly did not send this to /dev/null, but you can do so by just
> modifying /etc/cron.d/tiger (a conffile), instead of
>
> 0 * * * *      root    test -x /usr/sbin/tigercron && /usr/sbin/tigercron -q
>
> use
> 0 * * * *      root    test -x /usr/sbin/tigercron && /usr/sbin/tigercron -q 2>/dev/null
>
> One of the reasons you didn't see any errors before is because the default
> was the former, I removed the /dev/null redirection in order to make errors
> obvious (and have them reported), trying to avoid a "false sense of
> security" :-)
>
> If you want to disable those errors in the meantime and don't want to apply
> the patches available currently for those, add the /dev/null redirection.
>
> Thanks for the info
>
> Javi

I am willing to wait for that DEB in which the best correction is taken.
I do not want to limit the effectiveness of tiger simply to avoid
annoying messages.

Thank you, all of you, for your consideration in these matters.

--
Best Regards,

mds
mds resource