Re: Security patches

Please excuse the delayed response... better ever than never...
Thanks for all comments so far, while LSM/SELinux has been losing
points with me for a while, it is now on the upswing again...

A couple of comments or questions follow:

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2003.12.18.2321 +0100]:
> Now, what I would like to have is a kernel that loads in all
> executable pages it might need, and locks itself out from ever
> in kernel context] again.  This needs hardware support, of course,
> which I don't know if any of the commonly used architectures
> have...

It would be nice to have a TPM do that, huh?

also sprach Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> [2003.12.19.0229 +0100]:
> In terms of LSM protection against this, if you use SE Linux then
> all aspects of file access and module loading are controlled by
> the policy.  I am going to write a policy that implements
> something similar to BSD secure levels so that you can put
> a server into a mode where all kmem and module load access is
> disabled.  That should be all you need.

Is this current work in progress? Do you have an ETA?

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2003.12.19.1018 +0100]:
> I think there is a LSM "BSD secure levels" module around (that has
> nothing to do with SE Linux), which should be much easier an
> install for those who want to play with BSD secure levels in
> Linux.

The question is: does it mix with SE Linux? I always wondered about
LSM... they are stacking modules, right? So this would have to come
before or after SELinux, at which point one can take control from
the other, no?

`. `'`